Tuesday 29 January 2019

Orval, Chants et Guitares Acoustiques 1975




In the database here.  Note the 600 dollar price tag.

I know some people adore this kind of 'psych folk' but it leaves me completely indifferent.  I don't like the way they don't even try to play the guitar well compared to the virtuosity of fusion, and the chord progressions, inevitably, are quite ho-hum, patterns you'd find on just about any folk album from the 60s or 70s.  Even the ubiquitous, my most hated, A minor - G - F - E7 is represented once.  The production lacks imagination, with just guitars and singing.  As an example in which they do try to transcend the genre, the best is the Machine a redescendre le temps (i.e. to go back down time):





The last track (Postcard from the United States) has an unfortunate quotation from All Along the Watchtower, the great Nobel Prize-winning lyric by Laureate and immortal master of literature Bob Dylan.

7 comments:


  1. https://www70.zippyshare.com/v/nQw5OhTJ/file.html

    a few more posts of Scandinavian fusion to tidy up the past stuff and then I have some really rare library material, quite a bit of it, including some of those aforementioned Xmas presents to myself finally available... a lot to look forward to this new year

    ReplyDelete
  2. once again blogger decided to disable all comment moderation so I wasn't able to see any posted comments...thanks for screwing that up, AGAIN, blogger, too bad I don't remember how I fixed the problem last time... argh

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is from France ? I feel ashamed (you got it: I'm French)... Just joking, every country have its own bands the internet just doesn't let us forget ;)

    To be honest I've been intrigued by the guitar sound at the beginning but quickly got taken away by the vocals and, well, repetitive rhythm part. The tuning is not that great too.

    Anyway thank you for sharing Julian ...and for not having taken the opportunity to blast France ahahahah !

    PS: by the way, what is the statue represented on your new banneer ? Kinda creepy I'd say 0:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah oui, you are French, then I suppose you are out there rioting too as your Emperor Macron retreats to his walled Palais Royal in Paris in his gilet jaune custom made by Hermes and eats his cake from patisserie laduree??

      Delete
    2. Hehe, I wish I was, but I want to keep both eyes (cf. the many yellow vests that were injured by the shots of rubber bullets) ;)

      Delete
    3. May I suggest you lose those eyes so you need not see how your Empereur Louis Macron Bonaparte lives in Palais Royal?

      Delete
    4. it seems certain the emperor never learned enough about your Revolution from Brigitte, his elementary school teacher/wife/mother/grandmother

      Delete