Thursday 5 September 2019

Trumpeter / Conductor Jeff Tyzik from 1980 to 1985










As mentioned by a commenter, these albums resemble the two from Serry-- at least, superficially.  They are very much cutting edge fusion as you would have expected in the year 1980, very light, approachable, commercial, lacking the muscle of electric guitars and the dual-instrument riffs of the past and completely without the emotional depth of Euro-fusion.  Not a lot of progressive either, we're not talking James Vincent here.  On the other hand the first album features quite a few good tracks and interesting compositions, with a couple more (i.e. fewer than the first) on the second, and then virtually nothing listenable as we move farther into the eighties approaching the decade's halfway point just past the Orwellian non-starter, though he didn't give up on making music past that point as you can see from his discography.

There is an oddly complete bio, almost bookish and nonwikipedian on discogs, which begins as follows:

Born in Hyde Park, New York, Jeff Tyzik first fell in love with music at the age of eight when he saw a drum and bugle corps march by in a local parade. "For my ninth birthday, I said, 'I want a bugle!'" recalled Tyzik. But when he opened the case, he was crushed. "It wasn't a bugle. It was a cornet!" 

He quickly forgot his initial disappointment, however, and began studying cornet with a teacher who had performed in the Goldman Memorial Band in the 20's. He immediately excelled. "I was always extremely serious about music, even at a young age. I was frustrated with the other kids when they didn't take it as seriously as I did." recalled Tyzik, adding, "I've always given all of my energy to anything I'm passionate about." 

Tyzik's teachers and friends began pushing him to audition for the Eastman School of Music. Tyzik recalls, "Eastman was a pivotal place in my development because I was exposed to legends there, like Ray Wright. When I was a kid, once in a while my mom would take me to Radio City Music Hall where Ray was the conductor of the Radio City Music Hall Orchestra. I met Ray years later when he was a professor of jazz studies at the Eastman School and I was a student. He became a mentor to me. He knew volumes about music and the music business. He treated all of his students as professionals. What I do today, I directly link to my studies with him." 

Moving on to the music, from the first album the standout track is The Farthest Corner of my Mind, which also served as the title of a compilation later in 1986 (after only 4 official records!), which you can hear here:




From the 2nd, Circe, here.














6 comments:

  1. https://www91.zippyshare.com/v/Q7xiTwPp/file.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. same 4 for the brexiteers
    https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/2envyo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much love from the UK. Thanks so much :)

      Delete
  3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZhDW2X4RUc in fact it was Allen Vizzutti , the "road" to Jeff Tyzick , and i don´t know all the "works of him" just a few , (he have some great projects https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lKb1rX5pOA) ,https://www.discogs.com/artist/720876-Allen-Vizzutti thank´s Julian !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trumpet, Flugelhorn, French Horn, Piccolo Trumpet – Allen Vizzutti
    Piano, Electric Piano, Clavinet, Synthesizer [Mini-moog] – Chick Corea
    Drums – Tom Brechtlein
    Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar – Grant Geisman*
    Electric Upright Bass, Electric Bass [Fretless] – Bunny Brunel
    Executive-Producer – Tutti Camarata
    Harp – Amy Wilkins
    Producer, Composed By, Arranged By, Written-By – Allen Vizzutti
    Tenor Saxophone – Joe Farrell
    Trombone, Bass Trombone – Harold Garrett
    Viola – Elizabeth Richey, Elizabeth Weiss (2)
    Violin – Ellen Rathjen, James Durham, Mariko Sumita, Nancy Hunt, Sharon Beaurgard, Wilfredo Deglans, Willam Hunt.
    Cello – Kathleen Murphy (2), Lynn Richmond, Robert Taylor (19)
    Concertmaster – Howard Weiss (2)
    Conductor [Strings] – Allen Vizzutti, Jeff Tyzik[Allen Vizzutti ‎– Skyrocket(1981)]

    ReplyDelete