Sunday 17 October 2021

Alan Hawkshaw, RIP

 



In my opinion the best of the library composers of the 1970s, he passed away on Saturday: a tragic loss.

A series of albums in the late 1970s which he wrote featured some of the best progressive music I've ever heard, especially in Frontiers of Science (1979) and The Road Forward (1977). I recently posted one of the lesser known ones, called The Rock Machine which was quite funkingly stunning. I've assembled a package of my favourite albums but I know there are many I've missed because he was so productive back then, I mean check out his discography over here.

The song called Saturn Rings almost makes me cry still, to this day, when I think of how it expresses that yearning for space travel, the loneliness, the darkness, the hope, that reminds me so much of childhood dreams:



I think Mystique Voyage is so perfect as a composition, it should be studied in music universities everywhere in the world:



Strangeways demonstrates his amazing complex progressive songwriting skills, never mind the skillful use of synths and electric pianos:

 




I hope others mention some other albums they love from him.

7 comments:

  1. https://we.tl/t-FSV8Xy8kJ5
    frontiers of science, terrestrial journey, seven wonders, road forward, great mysteries, music machine, rock machine, contemporary contrasts, things to come, 9 albums

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very very sad, a true genius, a great loss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dear Julian:

    A very amazing program with fine selection of progressive music:
    https://www.patreon.com/garimpando


    Yours sincerely,

    Flávio

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite so far are the seven tracks on "Hogan, The Hawk and Dirty John Crown" (as William Parrish with Alan Parker) but you're three shared songs in this post, we're all new to me and wonderful. So I'm looking forward to checking you're stack of albumshares.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings to Julian and the rest of Russia. There are such MP3 discs with music by Alan and Kpm records. If you are interested, I'll fill in the cloud and give you a link.
    https://cloud.mail.ru/public/J255/69hrYfh6A

    ReplyDelete
  6. https://cloud.mail.ru/public/J255/69hrYfh6A
    uploaded the music of 13 other albums with Alan's participation at the same link

    ReplyDelete