Wednesday 30 March 2022

Jackie Orszaczky [ex-Syrius] - Beramiada (HUN 1975)






Again a beautiful cover graphic.

Jackie Orszaczky:  Bass guitarist, singer, composer, songwriter, producer. Born in Hungary, Budapest 1948. Lived and worked in Australia since 1974 he died in Sydney in 2008. 

Most notably he played in the group Syrius (of Devil's Masquerade fame) which released two seventies albums.  After their debut he made this remarkable instrumental fusion album which is just amazing.  The discogs review doesn't at all do it justice:

When I first found out about this record, a friend of mine remarked that the guy still played around Sydney. Sure enough, a month or so later I was standing in the Erskenville Rose listening to Orszaczky’s band play some great live funk. I’ll never forget some guy just walking out from the audience and up to the mic. He whips out a harmonica from his pocket and starts playing the funkiest harmonica solo I have ever heard. But back to his first solo record. When I first found this album, I wasn’t that excited because I had no idea how hard it was to come by. I found out about it, and bought a copy at my local record store the next day for a very reasonable price. When I got home I skipped right through the first side and came to rest on ‘Friends of Mrs. S’ with it’s great breakbeat intro and compelling jazz/funk sound. It wasn’t till a while later that I came to discover other tracks like on the album like the fusiony ‘White Raven’, or the epic 11 minute suite ‘Tubarose’ with it’s great bass-line and building groove. It was even later that I learnt about Jackie’s history with the Hungarian jazz-rock outfit Syrius, and that they had recorded their first album and released it in Australia on the Spin label (aussiefunk.blogspot.com).

The track Morning in Beramiada is just about as perfect a fusion track as you could ever dream of, with the slow rolling strumming start complete with guitar above the first fret plucking and energetic riffage, the transition before the  midway mark into a seemingly different track followed by those unison instrumental passages:




Given the level of composition here it's really hard to believe this record isn't better known.  Both energy and creativity are sustained all the way through the approx. 35 minutes playing time.



7 comments:

  1. https://www.sendspace.com/file/t90wdg
    https://www105.zippyshare.com/v/a5XCEaoo/file.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesante, apreciado amigo. Muchas gracias por compartir. Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Real great stuff, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favourite albums. Note that the guitarist, John Robinson, here gets to extend his fusion chops away from his former prog outfit, Blackfeather. Thanks again Julian.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Jackie, seen him many times here in Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  6. THIS! Really stunning LP. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for bringing this album to my attention. I have been enjoying listening (although generally skipping the final track - haha). Great blog and really appreciate how you make samples available. cheers

    ReplyDelete