Monday 12 June 2023

Finishing the albums of Israeli Guitarist Gadi Caplan




It seems Israeli guitarist Gadi Caplan made 3 in total of which the first from 2010 I posted here.   After listening to it a few times I found I was a bit haunted by some of the tracks which to be honest, sound very much influenced from the classic prog of the seventies in terms of the addition of chamber instruments and the innovative ideas especially, so I thought to look for the other 2. 

I think from the first one the track called Boni really really recalls those classic progsters in for ex. the French style, like Transit Express, of Opus Progressif fame:



It amazed me to find something like this on a release from 2010! Bringing on the violin in particular is killer...

From the 2nd album, which I felt was a little inferior despite the remarks on rym, the lovely minor second and tritonal arpeggiated guitar dissonances of Frostbite, really, I mean really recall the old classics, but I just never get tired of hearing them:



Not all of the tracks are great on all these, I think in particular with apologies to the artist when he starts singing the composition is not as good, most likely for commercial reasons.

From the 3rd release (marked as no year on discogs) the vocals increase and the quality of the music decreases--in terms of progressiveness of course I am referring to. Here and there are great passages though for ex. Lili's Day part 3 where there is an appearance by what I think is a fake mellotron:



The same effect with the earlier posted Six North btw, those 2 really grew on me after a few listens in this case I think the most apt comparison is to Canterbury style bands, they even quote from a Hatfield and the North composition on the track called Richard.  Great band, great albums.


3 comments:


  1. all 3 albums

    https://www.mediafire.com/file/jm69aardouxiqfs/gadcap.rar/file

    https://www.sendspace.com/file/jsqs9t

    ReplyDelete
  2. Request for another guitarist, called...
    Kiyoshi Hasegawa...

    1.) 4 titles from Phillips, 1969-1971...
    2.) 3 titles from Vertigo, 1972-1974 (especially)...
    3.) 1975 releases on Phillips and Polydor thereafter, if possible?

    ReplyDelete