Saturday 15 March 2014

The great Tony Campo's Garuda from 1976





From the cd reissue wishlist:

He Who Must Not says this: "There's a great story behind my travels to Indonesia... Composer Tony Campo is from there, Bali in fact.  His bio is featured briefly on the back of the record.  I take it he became a session bassist in the UK and did quite a few library records, often in collaboration with others.  His style is jazz-funk, as befitting the music of Bali which is very dance-oriented.  It's obvious that this album, which is named after the semi-mythical eagle-winged deity that is Indonesia's national symbol, is his masterpiece, the second side is called Suite No. 2 and is his attempt at creating a kind of jazz-funk symphony, you'll see what I mean when you hear it.  Note that the famed Frank Ricotti plays vibes and percussion on this record." 

In fact, had their been no second side, then I would wonder why it was sent to me in the first place. I mean, I actually like disco instrumentals, but it's not exactly the purpose of the list. But Side 2, while never quite losing those fat beats, takes on a whole new dimension. There's truly a depth found here that is uncommon in both funk and even in pure jazz. If you want to begin your dig for this album, you better like tight horn charts. With long fuzz guitar solos. And echoed Fender and vibes. I just happen to embrace said concept, hence I rate this:

[Priority 3]

In compensation for all the big albums missing here, I'll present you with a nice vinyl ripped wav file for this one.  Those who don't like the size of those, use xrecode which is a free program for converting to an mp3.  I don't want to post both because the links inevitably fail sooner when there is more than one.



24 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toni Campo was my father. He was, in fact, born in Batavia, which became Jakarta under Japanese occupation. Not Bali!

      Delete
    2. Wow! That's incredible!
      I think that in the original post, which this was taken from:
      http://cdreissuewishlist.blogspot.ca/2013/09/garuda-indonesia.html
      the reference to Bali wasn't meant seriously.
      I'm glad that you have corrected us, and best wishes to yourself and your talented father!!! How is he these days?

      Delete
    3. new upload down at the bottom of the comments

      Delete
  2. Hello, Good People!

    I've just find this blog out!!!

    What a terrific posts!!! Just a labour of love!!!

    Thank You,,you brighthened my weekend!!


    By the way, would you please re-post:

    Rē Records Quarterly -- A Series, Part 5: The Quarterly Vol. 2 No. 2 from 1987 [Recommended!]

    the links are quite dead!!

    Thank You In Advance!!!

    Remember:

    """█▓▒░ ★ Life Gets Sweeter Everyday★ ░▒▓█"""


    W.S - BRAZIL -SP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Already dead? what a surprise, thanks for the kind words, bard of Avon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try this link please for Vol 2 No 2:

    http://netkups.com/?d=7588f26035e3f

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Good People!

    The link is ON!!! I'm just downloading Vol 2 n°2 !!!

    A big THANK YOU!!!

    """█▓▒░ ★ Life Gets Sweeter Everyday★ ░▒▓█"""

    W.S - BRAZIL -SP

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many Many Thanks for this ! Pure Dopeness

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another great post....Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. another killer lp thnk you very much stunning music!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. just wait till you hear 'proto-funk'

    ReplyDelete
  10. THIS IS ONE ANOTHER BIG GEMS !
    GREAT ALBUM !!!
    THANKS FOR THIS AND FOR YOUR BLOG !
    D.J. ChinaBlack

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can you please Re-up?

    thank you - a long time prognotfrog fan, now yours too

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi. Do you maybe have remaining A4, A5 & B tracks?
    First three tracks are really amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, that's terrible, you're right, I will post a new one. Completely a mistake!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This album should be complete:

    https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/ky9bp9

    ReplyDelete
  16. There are now only two tracks...



    I'm just kidding, sry ;-) Now is all fine!

    Thank you very much Julian Ryan for sharing this amazing album!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. ha ha ! you got me there for a second! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't know how to tell you, but my father died in 2007. I'm sorry. Yes, he was a very well-respected musician, and one of the four most-booked session bass-players of his day, along with Herbie Flowers. I wish I could tell you more about his gigs, but I was only very little at the time! Sometimes I would go with Daddy to recording sessions, and was such a quiet little thing that, not only was I allowed into the control room, where I would sometimes fall asleep, but also into the studio itself. Not many children are that disciplined. If there is anything you want to know, please don't hesitate to contact me, and I will try to answer your queries. All the best, and Keep Music Live. (Vinyl, notwithstanding!!).

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh gosh I 'm sorry to hear that. All the respect in the world to this wonderful musician and his work. I hope this can stand forever as his masterpiece gift to the world.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great album.What a nice treat.Thanks very much.

    ReplyDelete