Wednesday 31 October 2018

Francois "Faton" Cahen in Piano Concerts, 1975, by request










I referenced Francois Cahen earlier with the album he made with Didier Lockwood called Thank You Friends, which was just delightful, but most know him anyways as the keyboardist and leader of the great Zeuhl group Zao who made a string of gorgeous fusion albums in the seventies.  This album was missing, it was his first and unfortunately was recorded live and therefore the sound suffers, as you can see with a track called "Belette Bleu:"





Note the Zao-like tendencies in the lyrical phrasing and harmonies.  Since I don't have a taste for solo piano albums, nor for the inferior recording quality found in live albums, for me this is a venn diagram shaded intersection of sets of utter unexcitingness.

I'll included some of the other stuff I have from him including 1978 Tendre Piano Solo, 1979 Great Winds, 1986 Piano Reves, 1989 Couleur Rubis, and 1986 Faton Bloom.
The material he recorded with Malherbe is superb, bringing out the best in both worlds. As well the Malherbe 'solo' album from 1979 Bloom is outstanding.
Some of the tracks in the first two are recycled Zao songs for solo piano, disappointingly.


15 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Un grand merci à toi, Julian !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanx very much, expecially for Faton-Bloom ! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. First off thank you for the intro to Cahen as I am not a fan of Zeul rock I thoroughly enjoyed his solo album primarily for the smattering of Rhodes piano.
    Would you happen to have Thank you Friends with Didier Lockwood? Ive been trying to find that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank u friends shld still be posted in this blog from last year
      I ripped the record at that time

      Delete
    2. I couldnt find it. I searched thru 2017/16. Perhaps my eyes are deceiving me!

      Delete
    3. Oh and btw I found that debut Ross Traut album from 81 I had been looking for that for a long time since I am a huge fan of the 2 album he made with bassist Steve Rodby of Pat Metheny Band. That is very much appreciated!

      Delete
    4. https://progressreview.blogspot.com/2017/09/review-of-another-violinist-great.html
      perhaps because I put it under didier lockwood there
      http://www81.zippyshare.com/v/x6iOVtYy/file.html

      Delete
    5. oops the link is dead, I'll put up a new one

      Delete
  5. I patiently await the re-up! Btw Lockwood is amazing up there with JL Ponty in Lockwoods fusion days. A shame he no longer peruses those avenues any longer...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much for your amazing blog!
    Can you reupload this music?
    I would really appreciate.

    Sincerely

    JRAC

    ReplyDelete
  7. https://www.sendspace.com/file/stasa3

    ReplyDelete
  8. https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/stasa3

    ReplyDelete