Wednesday 14 October 2020

Back to the New Sound Quartet with the lost I Tarocchi (1980)





I think everyone out there, or at least almost all, will be thrilled with this post.  I don't think it was digitally available before, sadly.  But you can be happy now.

As before we have that wonderful seventies library music sound with all that entails, including the amazing keyboardist Oscar Rocchi once again (now with appearances numbering in the hundreds in this blog). You'll notice I credited composers here so you can see who is the writer for your favourite tracks. Oddly enough it's not Rocchi that shines here but all the musicians have contributed and all have some great ideas.  The discogs database is here for reference.  Though from the outset you can be forewarned: this is not as good as Crazy Colours, unfortunately.

The guitarist Ernesto Verardi made the most amazing track about stars, with its multiple electric guitars weaving just an intricate material of luxurious cloth and intertwined fibers, note the soft reverbed rhythm guitar on the left with the additional ornamental phrases added on the right, plus the dual guitars playing lead melody, and how the song builds through some really unearthly chord changes from the tonic A strumming (into some flat minor keys!) & eventually modulating down to resolve into a final mellow E major:




As I've said before, that track is like magic.  I can't believe it.
Worth the price of admission just for that one piece.
And those chord changes are of a type you will only hear in these seventies records, in my opinion. 
Or at least I would be shocked if you presented to me a current album that sounded just like that song.
Now I wonder what other treasures can be found in Verardi's discography, of which I am totally one hundred percent ignorant?

On the other hand Cappellotto who in addition to having too many duplicated consonants in his name I admit is totally unknown to me as well, contributed an utterly lovely track about the moon, note the spacey synth:




As for our most beloved Oscar Rocchi, I saved him for last.  Everyone will agree his best composition on this LP is the tarot about lovers, with its pricelessly shiny, cascading, waterfalling, sparkly, loving electric keyboards sound:




So beautifully arranged too, with the 'fake trumpets,' 'fake strings,' all the digital instruments pretending to be a full orchestra but with all the right touches, like a master's painting with a wealth of detail, the more you look, the more you find.

Today you can all enjoy this little lost gem.



8 comments:


  1. https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/kbef2u
    https://www88.zippyshare.com/v/crnSbAeJ/file.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julian, can you help with this?
    https://www.discogs.com/Frey-Tiepold-Thierfelder-Lang-Colibry/release/1899059

    ReplyDelete
  3. brilliant album, love it, I posted his library record here before
    https://progressreview.blogspot.com/2014/02/matthias-frey-s-art-profiles-sonoton.html
    I have all his works, here's colibri:

    https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/zt42ib

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Julian, very much appreciated as always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julian, I've got three files called Seals___Crofts that ask me for a password. Do yoy remember it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. would it be possible to get: Matthias Frey ‎– Y & Matthias Frey ‎– Ohrjazzter

    ReplyDelete