Friday 28 July 2023

R. Montrose's first solo albums

 








Montrose played in the Edgar Winter Group which I posted briefly back here, and boy did I love those guys, the classic warm hard rock sound with all its nuttiness and high-voltage energy.

He also played in a band ST called Montrose which I found relatively unimpressive and ordinary as hard rock, pop rock (they actually released 6 LPs in total back then!). 

Then I thought about whether he had done solo works, like Jeff Beck did, that could be impressive, and it turns out he did.  Discography here.

My Little Mystery, from 1978's Open Fire which is not quite as good as Beck, but still quite impressive in its wide ranging sounds and moods and progressive creativity:



This track recalls some of the classic progressive composed pieces such as James Vincent and my old fave Don Moch did so perfectly well, cf. Mock's Etude piece which I've listened to hundreds of times since when I first discovered it.

Title track of Territory from 1986 shows some really nice creative ideas reminiscent, again, of the prog classics of the 70s:



2 comments:

  1. request reup if link deleted

    ReplyDelete

  2. https://krakenfiles.com/view/Wx6jdNGfAm/file.html

    https://www.sendspace.com/file/e7mlr6

    ReplyDelete