Wednesday 23 August 2023

Risa Potters' 2 from 1970 & 1972, by request



In addition to being a beautiful woman, some incredibly lovely songs can be found on these 2 unknown LPs, and thanks for bringing them to our attention.  Discogged here.

The first one sounds similar to a cross between Mary Hopkin's Earth Song with its highly gentle acoustics and the ever creative Joni in her earliest, guitar-augmented by string quartet phase eg Song to a Seagull or Clouds or, if you know it, the Nico album from 1967 called Chelsea Girl. In other words, very emotional, tender, expressive, and delicate with its arrangements.  The earlier mentioned beautiful Shelagh McDonald is also similar.  (I hope everyone knows her 2  albums! I've loved those so deeply since I first heard them decades ago.)

I think between the 2 of them the first has the most interesting and creative songwriting, perhaps predictably, with the occasional awkward lyric like on Half Woman Half Child in which she actually says, God must have been stoned when he created me. I find that line difficult on so many levels... but consider the amazing Old Man track:




From the second album, My Mistake is simple but highly highly effective, emotionally:






4 comments:

  1. https://krakenfiles.com/view/UWCihwiIo1/file.html

    https://www.sendspace.com/file/yzhjhp

    Enjoy and thanks again for recommending/requesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I had completely forgotten about Risa Potters.

    ReplyDelete