Wednesday 20 January 2021

Eero Koivistoinen and friends in Sea Suite 1983 (and Ultima Thule)






This artist is very well known and really needs no introduction.  His 1976 fusion The Front is Breaking is particularly beautiful, original and masterful and I've enjoyed it numerous times over the decades I've known it, or 'are you sure it's not the same album you keep collecting?' as my wife would say.  Others probably enjoy the earlier Wahoo! much more than I do, and his debut Valtakunta I just detest.

On this record he plays with well-known Finnish jazz-fusion superstars Aaltonen and Ahvenlahti and the backing band is the also famous UMO Jazz Orchestra.

On this page you can see the talent assembled here.  Notice that Eero composed the music although there are arrangements of traditional thrown in as is typical for Finnish music.

The music is a mix of classical and jazz and remarkably well written considering the late year.  Although with the proviso that some of the tracks are really irritating, either too simple/basic in melody or too smoothly jazzy bigbandish, and I'm sure you know what I mean by that.

A sea shanty-like song, for the attention-deficited social media aficionados:



I 'll include the other 1983 album Ultima Thule which is really hard to find but I found that one distinctly disappointing. Oddly it repeats tracks from the Sea Suite.  Then the 1984 album Picture in Three Colours was also disappointing, I'll up it if anyone wants.







3 comments:


  1. https://www.sendspace.com/file/4gnw62

    https://www45.zippyshare.com/v/uWuSujVd/file.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. hank you enormously for these hard to find 2 LPs.
    Other than many thanks .. I will finally be able to evaluate them too.
    If I can dare, given your skills as a researcher, if it happens to you ....
    Mike Maran - Fair Warning (Bronze 1973)
    Spectrum - Tribute to Monk (Switch 1983)
    Good things

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks again Julian. Labyrinth (77) from his Quartet is beautiful. The Front is Breaking is a great fusion too with Ahvenlati, Wadenius, Pohjola and Tolonen, and Gulgowski as producer. Could you post those albums?

    ReplyDelete