Saturday 18 May 2019

Takasuke Kida's Dog's Map and Cat's Map from Japan 1980










So I'm going to embarass those wonderful AI computers toiling for The Great Google, those that we are always hearing will as robots take over all our jobs in 10-20 years, by using google translate on the Japanese wikipedia page for this artist, called Taksuke Kida.  We've done this before, but this time, it's just priceless.  Discogs info here.

Takasuke Kida (Kosuke Kida, 1949 January 8 - 1980 May 18 ), the keyboard musical instrument , stringed instruments , wind instruments , percussion instruments , such as dealing with a wide variety of musical instrument musician is, orchestrator . His real name is Katsura Shigetaka (a wig shigure). [What??? -Ed.]
Born in Niigata Prefecture . Her mother is Keiko Kida , a former member of the Japan Psychoanalytical Society and a former adviser to the Sanno Education Institute .

After graduating from Niigata Prefectural Niigata High School , he entered the percussion department at Tokyo University of the Arts . While in school, I joined Jacks . After the Jacks broke up, he became an arranger, " Song of Departing " ( Kazuhiko Kamijima ), " Kandagawa " ( Kaguya Himeji ), "I am crying" ( Lily ), " Is it true to marry " ( He works on a number of hits including Da Capo .
[how do you explain google translate forgetting to close the brackets here--? Ed.]
I participated in The Naturshire Seven between 1975 and 1980 . After that, when I started solo work, I died in a traffic accident.

And that last line absolutely killed me (too).  "After I started solo work I died in a traffic accident."  So the post was written by the ghost of Takasuke Kida.  (And why do Japanese names always get translated into different names?)  It never ceases to amaze me how much progress computer scientists have achieved from making pacman-style arcade games to toy robots for children that litter my basement currently, including a robot dog that I saw them kick the other day.  Twenty years ago Deep Blue beat Kasparov at Chess, last year, google's computer won against the best Go player in the world-- & hopefully in my lifetime I will see them beat my kids at Monopoly without giving up out of boredom or having to mediate between 2 temper tantrums, as I always do.  I'm not expecting I will ever see that happen though.

Anyways back to this record.  An absolutely delightful title to this one: the dogs' map bearing signposts of fire hydrants or popular spots for others' urine, the cats' one with bushes for the perfect hiding places from birds.

As wikipedia said, this creative musician died at a truly tragic young age in a car accident, just after embarking on a solo career.  Previously he was involved in the pop music scene of Japan.  This is his only fusion-style album.  The first track, Here's Another Morning, recalls to me the wonderful UFOlogists convention by Hiro Yanagida (an album I still love dearly):





Of course, I am going to be critical here, and safely state the obvious fact that it's a bit more simplistic and less energetic than Yanagida, though equal in the warmth of its glowing sound.  And you could never really improve on the poetry of the Crystal Ship song.  To some extent the remainder of the album stays in the stereotypical fusion categorization, not the progressive we here adulate.

Some interesting chromatic melodies appear on the last song called Teleportation to the Bright Noon:





I wonder if everyone is as surprised as I am that there's still such high-level unknown material emanating from certain countries??
Many thanks are due to those who introduce me (and you) to these things too...




7 comments:

  1. https://www10.zippyshare.com/v/LqoLHzvh/file.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sendspace link
      https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/vh7m6x

      Delete
  2. This is great and, deceitfully, easy to listen to. But that's the way music must present itself - approachable at first level. Thanks - needless to say that I had never even heard of him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again a new name for me as well, well to be honest as far as I can remember I never recognized any artist on your blog :D

    A pleasing album with a warm sound and happy vibes, as on "Hippu To...", a funny song (in a good way)!

    Japan surely has some excellent artists, thank yu very much Julian for sharing some of their albums with us !

    ReplyDelete