Monday 31 August 2020

Another remarkable library series with Rocchi, The New Sound Quartet, with Crazy Colours & Disco Way











Here's something I know will make a lot of people happy.
When I heard Crazy Colours by this group which made 3 records, I went crazy of course knowing this was partly written by Rocchi, who we've posted many times before here in the past.  Consider the Tender Melody by him:



And the progressive and really quite remarkable chord changes on Dreams:





You can see the compositional credits for this record here.  Note that this track was written by guitarist Ernesto Verardi, who appeared in the Modern Sound Quartet, whose three records I posted on this blog here, here.  I wish someone had told me about the New SQ at the time!  There are so many people out there familiar with these Italian libraries in enormous depth, which never ceases to amaze me.  Notice that the discography of Verardi, also a composer, is absolutely huge.  Or rather, ginormous.  Who knows how many lost treasures in there too.

Anyways, I then had to buy the other albums from these guys. The album called Disco Way which I would bet any amount of money came out in 1981 or within one or two years surrounding, has nothing to do with disco but rather is quite funked up, a sure crowd-pleaser I know for those who love to sample.  Notice that for this release Oscar Rocchi wrote all the music.  The track called Divina with the shimmering synthesizer chords and melody played by the spacey digital woodwind really nails it for me:




This sounds like it should have been the soundtrack--and maybe it was-- for one of those sexy Italian movies where a teenaged girl spends most of the second part of the film in countryside milieus naked or half-naked making out with different older men until a younger guy finally has unconsensual sex with her and takes away her virginity (they did stuff like that back 40 years ago-- today, you go to jail for all that).  And that's it, that's my summation of all Italian cinema of the nineteen seventies.

Altogether a very strong library album, full of pleasant songs, not a single throwaway, though perhaps lacking the angular originality of some of Crazy Colours or perhaps the combinatorial creativity of a foursome of composers.

More to come, of course, stay tuned....


4 comments:


  1. https://www.sendspace.com/file/9lnzni

    https://www17.zippyshare.com/v/q1goz9GB/file.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! - For Crazy Colours in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again some wonderful music from Rocchi, thank you so much for sharing!

    Oh, and I dig your summation of the mentioned era of Italian cinema, once again you made my day ;D

    ReplyDelete