Tuesday 18 August 2020

Claus Ogerman, Part Two, some more of his albums as arranger




























I guess this is why I do this blog-- so people can give me recommendations I would never, ever have thought of.  I was shocked that other people were even familiar with Ogerman, but even more thrown off by the commenter who recommended I read the long and discursive blog post dedicated to him, to be found here on this page, which absolutely nailed it, in many ways.  Every album I love was referenced there, including the Evans collaboration Symbiosis, Gate of Dreams, the Brecker City Scape, Streisand, Oscar Peterson, and then more even that I wasn't aware of.  I guess everyone with a passing familiarity to jazz knows Jobim mostly today due to his constant appearance in those nuisance jazz standards that keep showing up at jazz festivals every summer in your local city (The Girl from Ipanema), what I had never realized was that my favourite Jobim album and to me his masterpiece, a 1976 opus called Urubu, was arranged by Ogerman!! So I dug it up to post it because it really belongs with the other works from him.  Jobim of course was way too popular a songwriter to come up with progressive music, I mean he never needed to right, but on the second side of this collaboration, the musical world absolutely goes straight up to heaven in a ramjet-fuelled, teraton-powered, billionaire-financed, space-z rocketship that belongs in the museum of godhead eternity as far as I'm concerned-- just consider the compositional acheivement of the Arquitetura de Morar (surprisingly to me this means architecture to live, not die, though the latter would have seemed more poetic):





Music cannot possibly, ever, get more beautiful than that, as far as I'm concerned.  The whole of the second side is similar, the blogspot mentioned Saudade do Brasil as remarkable too.

At the risk of getting into trouble I'll quote from the blogpost, written by Steven Cerra, in part, regarding some of the albums here and in the prior post, with some editoral comments from myself:

In 1969, Claus wrote an album for Oscar Peterson titled Motions and Emotions on the MPS label. Some of it's good, some of it's commercial, and some of it is knockout, above all the chart and performance of the Jobim tune Wave. The chart is, as one might expect, exquisite, but particularly noteworthy is the extended ending, and the way Claus can build incredible tensions with rising ostinatos. It is stunning writing, and the extended closing passage an indication of an emerging method in his compositional techniques.

[Ed. It's true the ending of Wave that old chronic failing kidneysed wrinkled standard is fantastic with the churning orchestral sounds, but the real standout brilliant arrangement is Dreamsville-- check that one song out for the most stunning piano + orchestra ever written.]

In the 1977 album Amoroso that Claus wrote for Joao Gilberto, one finds the Italian song Estate, which means "summer." The arrangement is almost unbearably poignant. That one recording launched the tune as an international jazz standard. Then in 1979, Claus wrote Terra Brasilis (Warner Brothers) for Jobim. The album (containing another of the tunes I wrote with Jobim, Double Rainbow), came out in 1980.

[Ed. This was a bit more disappointing compared to Uluru.]

After that, Claus arranged and orchestrated only his own music, including Cityscape, featuring tenor saxophonist Michael Brecker, in 1982. In 1989 they collaborated again on Claus Ogerman featuring Michael Brecker.

But let us back up to 1976. That was the year of an album on Warner Bros entirely of Claus's compositions, a suite titled Gate of Dreams. It is marvelous, haunting, brooding, expressing that poignant Prussian melancholy that I think is the core of Claus's work. Bill Evans called the suite "a reminder of finer things." And so it is. But it presents problems to those who want to put things in labeled shoe-boxes as "classical" or "jazz" or "pops" because Claus draws on all these idioms. It's simply gorgeous, with the writing reflecting all his musical experience up to that time. And it is the shape of things to come in Claus's writing. The Gramophone critic who in 1988 couldn't find out who Claus was wrote of the Tagore Lieder. "I can only report that these seven songs are in a loose post-serial idiom." He got that right, and also the perception of their "sparse, tonal lyricism."

The post is incredibly detailed in its in-depth knowledge of everything Ogerman has written, including the first album with Evans, with Symphony Orchestra, all the way through to the Lyrical Works.  The only thing missing to me is mention of the awesomely heart-breaking song I Loved You.  I guess also the song I raved about earlier called This Dream (on the Freddie Hubbard collaboration).
I would also reiterate (which he did) that the streak of melancholy and philosophy that travels through his music seems to emanate from his roots in middle-Europe.

To my utter surprise this commenter mentioned also the following album, with Danilo Perez, called Across the Crystal Sea.  (Not mentioned in the blogspot, I think?)
I say this of course because the music is classic, 100 percent, unadulterated, no sugar added, Claus Ogerman, you can see he wrote 6 out of 8 songs on there, often based on themes from classical or other composers.  If you don't believe me, listen to the last and phenomenalest track:





His situation also reminds me of Teo Macero, another formidable arranger with huge successes in the jazz world who was capable of remarkable modern composition as well, compositions that for the most part are neglected and forgotten today.  I've featured so much from him on these pages too.  Obviously, the personality was totally different, with Teo fully in the jazz world and the excitement of fusion.



18 comments:



  1. 7 more albums, the highlight for sure the Danilo Perez (2nd of the 2 packages):

    https://www98.zippyshare.com/v/fvhRb2Ya/file.html

    https://www69.zippyshare.com/v/6F4qeHSz/file.html

    all7

    https://www.sendspace.com/file/6q7d1z

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have included the album with This Dream on it:
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/mmzwb4

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Julian!
    I am glad that my links to Ogerman have reached.
    I am from Russia, my name is Oleg.
    I constantly follow your blog, I like almost everything that you exhibit.
    I also collected a lot of jazz, orchestral and instrumental music. Something I can put on the cloud and provide links for your publication: including a lot of Soviet jazz and orchestral music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow! yes, please!! you can also put a note not the publish the comment, if you prefer

      Delete
    2. Hi Oleg!
      I'm from CzechRep --- I'd definitely like to learn something more about Soviet or post-Soviet jazz! Looking forward : )

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  4. Thank you, but I do not take responsibility for publishing posts on your blog myself (and I don’t know how to do it). I know that you are quite knowledgeable in Soviet jazz and fusion music and you have to look for something to surprise you. It is clear that you know the Arsenal of Alexei Kozlov, but you still cannot find a more comprehensive one. Therefore, for starters, a link to his selected drives: https://cloud.mail.ru/public/sFEV/3JRRF54Td

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there any relation between Alexei Kozlov and bassist Boris Kozlov - or is it just a coincidence?

      Delete
  5. Thanks a lot, great stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Arsenal is pure genius, and the unreleased Arsenal contains gems that are far beyond any ordinary fusion album as a matter of fact, many thanks for a couple of these albums which I had not heard before!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it is possible to pick up a Russian analogue of Ogerman, then it is, perhaps, Yuri Chugunov. His name is known only to experts in jazz, as he wrote the basic manuals for arranging in jazz (I am not a musician and not a jazzman, I know only second-hand). Discs with his music are hard to find even on the Russian Internet, and even then in low quality. Most likely, they were published at his expense or in small editions by patrons. I give a link to some of them: https://cloud.mail.ru/public/4Nue/kNXbUDuac
      in the information folder the translated test about Chugunov.
      (Bolero's play on the disc Unknown Arsenal is his, it is also performed by the State Television and Radio Orchestra in the Autumn Album folder).

      Delete
    2. also, the track called 10. Шаги осени, from the album Autumn Album, is cut off and ends before one minute, do you have the full track at all?

      Delete
    3. Yes, unfortunately the track "Steps of Autumn" (Шаги осени) is everywhere in this form, and yes, the tracks are repeated on different discs.
      In the information folder, there is a direct link to the site from where everything was downloaded:Музыка Чугунова Юрия Николаевича
      I sent a request to a jazzman I know, asking him to find out if these discs could be found. (Definitely not on the Internet).

      Delete
    4. it seems almost crazy, or insane, that music that is this good is so completely lost to humanity! certainly this is the best example of great music that is impossible to find I've ever come across
      do you want to leave your email, I won't publish comment, so we can communicate better

      Delete
  7. wow, this is really amazing stuff, but difficult to sort through all the material
    it is indeed impossible to find any record of his online
    In those folders there are many songs or tracks that repeat or appear several times, is that right?
    Should I post this in the general blog as a separate post?
    Do you know if there are records of him to be found for purchase online for us to rip?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reupload if possible? I'd love to hear the album collection but the wetransfer is not working and the zippyshares have been taken down.

    ReplyDelete