Friday 4 December 2020

Group 87 and Mark Isham (1980 to 1985)












Four albums total here starting with the first and best with the title Group 87 from Mark Isham, a composer who went on to create a lot of film music.  From discogs:

Mark Isham (b. September 7, 1951, in New York) is an American trumpeter, synthesist and Academy Award-nominated composer. He works in a variety of genres, including jazz, electronic and film music.

Isham studied classical music, but also became interested in jazz, rock, and pop music. During the 70s he became a touring and session musician in various assemblies (Charles Lloyd, Beach Boys, Van Morrison) and appeared later as guest musician on many releases of well-known artists (David Sylvian, Rolling Stones, Susan Vega).

His early solo releases during the 80s had a strong emphasis on electronics, ranging from New Age (all Windham Hill releases) to abstract (soundtracks). During the 90s Isham rediscovered his roots in (contemporary) classical music and jazz and blended these genres in many releases of this incredibly productive period of his career.

Looking at his discography I would draw your attention to the fact he played in Paul Nash's Jazz Composer's Ensemble, which I mentioned recently I don't remember why, and the very famous Art Lande Rubisa Patrol LP-- I mean anyone who loves ECM fusion must hold that one dear as an all-time favourite, I keep returning to the evocative, tender beauty of Jaimi's Birthday Song.  There he played trumpet and saxes.

In 1980 he formed his own outfit which was called Group 87, and they made two albums, the first a wonderful meld of fusion and electronica, maybe similar to some German albums like Synthesax, but with a more rounded and gentle, composed approach, without the electric harshness of fusion's more dissonant moments, and altogether creating a really pleasing package.  In the 1983 Vapor Trails he moved into the electronic, new agey, drony direction, like Japanese Interior Design (posted last year) maybe, and in his Film Musik (1985) and Vapor Drawings (1983), the electronic really took over with a corresponding decline (for me) in quality and progressiveness.  

To my utter shock I saw that Peter Wolf also plays piano on the 1st Group 87 album.  I always pat myself on the back for that brilliant discovery as you know.

Hall of Glass from 1980:




In the Blue Distance from Vapor Drawings, 1983:




Angels and Obelisks from Data Processing, 1984:




8 comments:


  1. https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/mcdpbm
    https://www5.zippyshare.com/v/wwOjX7Eb/file.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot!!!
    In the 70's Mark Isham was a member of Sons Of Champlin, which was a group sounding little bit like Chicago or BS&T. There are some live videos on YouTube, Winterland shows. Their horn arrangements were great...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks for Group 87 & Mark Isham. I would also recommend Peter Maunu's album 'warm sound in a gray field' from 1990, a real beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Julian!
    I visit the blog regularly, but I couldn't find reasons for messages. And today they reminded me of one of the favorites of the 90s, Mark Isham. About 10 years ago I compiled his discography (I am attaching scanned discs), but then only one of these albums was available. Of course, now there is no desire and time to listen to everything, but my task was and still is - to collect everything that is more or less interesting for me on mp3 disks. Now about 2 thousand - I want to stop for a long time ... but I can't. https://cloud.mail.ru/public/2BdT/4xp6zfqwy

    ReplyDelete
  5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29i4GS8nXJs&list=UUZ2hQPMa_GyQ8rrwPNpy41A&index=36&ab_channel=Spellbound

    ReplyDelete
  6. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olhkt5rMEhg&list=UUTqufxogv02DSaP-Kreheug&index=4&ab_channel=fabrick;https://www.discogs.com/release/11861545

    ReplyDelete