Thursday 17 December 2020

Poli Palmer in Human Error, 1985

 





From discogs:

John Michael "Poli" Palmer (born 25 May 1943, in Evesham, Worcestershire) is a British rock musician. He played vibraphone, flute, piano, synthesizers and occasional drums.

Of the many bands he played in the most well-known would be Family the supposed or fake prog band with the awful singing, which existed from 1967 to 1973.  Long after the dissolution of that outfit he 'returned' to progressive music (I believe he played mostly blues in the interim?) with this really odd and totally lost and unknown album mixing computer sounds and electric instruments including saxes, violins, vibes, on a basis of either synthesizer (played by him) or guitar (by Bernie Holland).
For example Smoke that Thunders, the first track, gives you an idea of the unique sound here:



It's nice to hear some truly progressive music again here after the endless progressive fusion I guess.




4 comments:


  1. https://www21.zippyshare.com/v/blr6YPdt/file.html

    https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/jbnx4i

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, thanks a lot!
    (By the way, I wouldn't be that harsh regarding Family, but I'll save it for my eventual future blog : -D... )

    ReplyDelete
  3. VERY impressed by the sample. For some reason I've never connected with Family either, although a number of factors makes me feel likeI should. Maybe Kontakt can make a suggestion... In any case, thanks for this and all the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just like some of their stuff, that's all : )... Of course, I don't know if they are "progressive" - but perhaps they were back in the 70's. As a soundtrack for my ironing or dish-washing I'd prefer them over many "soft-rock" acts of the period.

      Delete