Wednesday 14 April 2021

Gene Hood's Acoustic prog-folk masterpiece Out of the Clouds from 1980




Here's a masterpiece I've treasured for a long long while, partly due to the fact it reminds me of so much alternative music from the mid-nineties, which as I've mentioned I grew up on, like Chris Cornell's acoustic compositions or any number of those brilliant inventive ssw artists of that period.  Yet this album came out in 1980 at the tail end of the whole US acoustic rock period, astonishingly.  Despite that year--which is hard to believe--there is not a single hint of any kind of eighties digitalese in here, no echoey chords, no synthesized repetitive drums, jumpy beat, slapped bass, dull and weak guitar sound.  Rather, it's shockingly ahead of its time in that it heralds so much of the earnestness, to my ears, of the later alternative scene at least 12 years away still.

Opening track Friends just gives me chills every single time:

In terms of the Chris Cornell similarity, listen once to his solo folk track from the Singles OST (I hope this youtube link lasts), the song called Seasons.  Obviously, Chris' song is much more professionally produced and arranged, we could never expect as much from Gene Hood's privately pressed work, never mind the extreme beauty of Chris's singing.  I went back to read wiki's page on him and felt so much sadness about how he died by suicide, about 4 years ago now, after suffering so much from lifelong depression. Like so many others we have read of here like Radka Toneff, he completed the act he sung about so often.  So much sadness and emotion is hidden in the beauty of art, isn't it. Then you think of someone like the comic Robin Williams, so brilliantly funny, so effective at hiding the massive depression that took him away eventually.

Anyways, the track called Time to Rise also to me 'recalls' (heralds?) that alternative emotional, earnest brilliance that was soon to come 15 years later:




6 comments:


  1. https://www47.zippyshare.com/v/kps9nVHw/file.html

    https://www.sendspace.com/file/xzc7x2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Instantly I was hooked. And from 1980.....
    Ahhh, this is the work of a kindred soul,
    that creative tinsel of genius from outside the circles of time,
    a heart that still receives the messages of courage and beauty :)
    ....you don't see that anymore, down here in the ghostbowl...
    Powerful words crowned with outstanding musical talent...those extra-tasty & unexpected spacey synth touches tie this together something special - like he looked into my life and said I hear ya, take this ray of strength brother :)
    Nothing even close to a weak moment on the righteous vinyl, 'Friends'...'Time To Rise'......all of it.........'A Free Man's Testament' is a lighthouse in a storm, and this masterpiece ends high & strong - 'The River Song'......just a Fuck Yeah!!! I'll roll the next one bros!
    I toast this excellence and brother Julian's excellence & generosity :)
    I love your heartfelt nods to Kurt & Chris, and yeah his song, 'Seasons' from the Singles OST is one of the most powerful & beautiful pieces of music ever written...I bet Gene Hood's awesome opener here 'Friends' instantly made you think of Seasons too :) ...a song I have not stopped listening to since it came out in the discreetly psychedelic 90s and it still makes this Gen X old-soul reminisce with an occasional tear in my eye for all those long gone days...
    Now there's another essential song from the same scene & time,
    'Long Gone Day' by Mad Season, a true super-group headed by the great Layne Staley, another big loss that cannot be replaced.
    ...lotta good dreams died alone without hope.
    Love Alice In Chains and their album, 'Jar Of Flies' is a largely acoustic prog-grunge 90s masterpiece of dark sad beauty.
    Thank you so much for this gem, sharing exceptional & rare great music that speaks to me like an old friend and is exactly what I needed to hear.
    Thank you bro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah the synth that comes out of nowhere, I forgot to mention how wonderful that aspect is too, also forgot to mention the unusual (Nick Drakelike) guitar tunings and the 12-string acoustic which always adds resonance or depth to the emotions

      Delete
    2. and glad I'm not the only one to remember that 'forgotten' Seasons song by Chris Cornell!

      Delete