Saturday 24 November 2018

Back to Dustar with their 1983 fusionary outpouring Carousel [with a lossless]




On the strength of the previous posting in these pages, Black River, I bought this one with not a little trepidation since the experience of purchasing from anywhere in the former (and future) Soviet Union can be somewhat chilling, comrades-- actually I swore I would never buy a record from the country of Russia itself, but I had to relent, finding that Russian records are one of the very few things you can only find in Russia...  And let me add that I also will never buy a record from Mexico after getting badly ripped off with those Batiz LPs I posted earlier, to the point of having to use a paypal complaint that dragged on for months to get my money refunded.  I mean I have nothing against Mexicans, but I will never buy a record from one.  And I won't buy anything from Italy either, partly because everything is quadruple the 'normal price'-- their library records are treated like lost Renaissance paintings from Botticelli-- I guess people are getting sick of the quattrocento and they've moved on to the 1970s. Just like they charge twenty euros to walk into tiny churches which elsewhere in the world are perfectly free to walk into.  I guess the fact they elected a stand-up comic to head a political party says it all about how seriously they treat comedy.  (Of course that's nothing compared to the United States.)  And while I'm at it, I swore I would never return to France after experiencing the rudeness that every visitor is well aware of (as I've described in many previous posts) particularly the time we went to a toy store near the palais elysee and my young kids got screamed at for looking at some toys.  They're famous for their food?  Today, only if you happen to be a dog, whose bathroom privileges extend to every street-- the worst croissants and macarons I've ever had were in Paris.  There the cappucinos were so awful and expensive we were reduced to going to Starbucks for decent coffee, shamefully (which at least never happened in Italy).  In Spain, world-famous for its paella, I had not only the worst paella I've ever tasted, but I never had a good one.  National dish, you say?  Why don't you offer it (along with that over-rated manchego cheese and terrible dessicated iberian ham) to the space station astronauts in lieu of freeze-dried foods as a great scientific experiment, & see what they prefer.  Maybe they'll go for the Parisian croissants and coffee then, and then jump out the airlock for a spacewalk. Thank god for the US of A, where I had the best paella of my life, in Las Vegas (!), and where you are always guaranteed service with a smile and a handgun...

Anyways, after the rant the music, as George Santayana once said.  A pastiche of quotes from the stupid orchestral Star Wars theme song by Williams to the Layla riff plus others I can recognize but can't call up names for along with the customary slavic folk songs opens this set somewhat inauspiciously and the title of the first track presumably might translate as 'messed up'.  But don't worry, it gets better (otherwise I wouldn't have bothered to purchase this), very quickly, and by track A3 the introduction is just so lovely it's impossible for me to focus on anything else in my vicinity once I hear the synths pick up that nice fat melody atop very delicately layered electric guitar chords and a nice syncopated rhythm:





And I'll let you discover the other Soviet riches in here so far completely unknown to mankind-- sorry, humankind, but really mostly the male gender, on this LP... to paraphrase the great Putin's "Russia has the best prostitutes in the world:" they certainly have some of the best music in the world...


12 comments:


  1. Carousel 1983 mp3:

    https://www85.zippyshare.com/v/dJi9A76G/file.html

    lossless for lossless lovers limited time only:

    https://we.tl/t-3vl4gTsjQM

    For those curious about the other albums they made earlier, here's a terrible rip of the 1982 release (from youtube), which, you'll understand, I will not be buying to rerip anytime soon:

    https://www14.zippyshare.com/v/aTxE92DL/file.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julian,
    I'm loving catching up with some of these Eastern European rarities that you are posting. Not as keen on this Dustar album as the earlier 'Black River' offering, but you might be interested to know that the intro to the third track that you love so much is pretty much a direct steal from the outro to George Duke's 'Love Reborn' from the wonderful 'Brazilian Love Affair' album.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no way... let me check that out and get back to you

      Delete
    2. omigod, you're right! to be honest, it's more than just partly stolen, the chorus section is also identical to that track, and you can also see that it was not credited to George Duke, the composers are listed in brackets on the back scan! There you go... another thing to add to the country complaints

      Delete
    3. Heh. Even down to the minimoog voicing used for the synth line. Ah well, I doubt that old George missed the miniscule amount of royalties he might otherwise have received. Incidentally there's quite a nice version of the song on Flora Purim's 'Butterfly Dreams' album, and there are two earlier version from Duke himself - a more straight ahead piano trio reading on 'The Inner Source' from '73 and a solo piano piece from 'The 1976 Solo Keyboard Album'.

      Delete
    4. you really know your George Duke-- to be honest, I thought I did too, huge fan of the Faces in Reflection era albums, but I never noticed that particular composition

      Delete
    5. Ha! Came here to make the George Duke comment but I see you gguys are onto it :)

      Delete
  3. on comparing the two tracks it's clear they stole the intro, the structure, and the chorus melody but they changed, and to be honest, improved the verse section of the composition
    Thanks to your comment I just found there were a few good George Duke albums I never heard before including that Brazilian one and the keyboard solo one

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a huge shame that Duke completely lost his quality control and produced very little (in my opinion) of any worth after about 1980. There were the odd flashes here and there buried in the commercial dross, but nothing came at all close to his MPS recordings and the later 70's albums, his stint with Zappa, the sadly short-lived Cobham/Duke band or, as you've now discovered, the 'Brazilian Love Affair' album which, as Simon666 will probably attest, is one of the great Fender Rhodes albums!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is the famous quote on "Carrousel" at 0:55 ? I certainly remember the one a 2:55 though 0:)
    I can't stand the saxophone on "Dérive de glace"... The "bass solo" on "Pleut" is a gas :D

    All in all a funny album which I won't listen to anymore but it was nice to hear once ;)
    Very funny to read your point-ov-view about the different countries in your description (I'm French and I have to agree with you unfortunately...) !

    Anyway thank you very much Julian for sharing this exotic album !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this album.
    Can you reupload this?

    Sincerely

    JRAC

    ReplyDelete
  7. new reup
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/nkfag6

    ReplyDelete