Wednesday 14 November 2018

Lithuanian composer Mindaugas Urbaitis: Mindaugo Urbaičio Dainos EP (1978) and Dainuojantis Ir Šokantis Mergaitės Vieversėlis (1981)







This composer's career started with a gorgeous EP of 4 short and simple songs with the utmost beauty and perfect delicacy, backed by acoustic guitar and a chamber string section.  Vocals are by Gintare Jautakaite (who also performs on the other album).  An early single of hers can be heard here.  Track B1 of the EP:





The 1981 album with libretto by Sigitas Geda is either a musical or a rock opera.  I bought the record when I heard a certain song on it and was blown away by its great beauty.  The song in question is much aided by the angelic & heavenly sound of Gintare's voice:





It amazes me how the composer travels through so many minor chords, like shifting waves, without the necessity of sticking to a clear key to keep us grounded.
On the other hand, the male vocalist's voice, often overly emotional in a theatrical manner, is really take it or leave it.


The photos below give you an idea of how Gintare was blessed with so much more than just a beautiful voice.










A photo of the composer:





11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julian,
    It's greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, thanks a lot for the (completely unknown to me) music! On the other hand you have to find a permanent image for the blog - every week I change my bookmark's favicon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My problem with the blog image is that these days it tends to be so high it blocks the latest album from view at my Safari Top Sites preview page... and thus I don't see when there's a new post... but then luckily the posts come often so I may just as well check (yeah I suppose there are other ways to get alerts for new posts but that's another story...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah I'm not so sure how to manage that so it's small enough to fill the top and then still be visible
      but let me see if I can adjust it a bit

      Delete
    2. Oh you changed it, well heck, thanks.. I wasn't that serious about this though, DFL just "inspired" me to comment... but, I could see the latest album now.
      Still, the big images themselves did look great, so I won't mind if you prefer to go back to them... in fact I almost asked about the bird/sky/mountains pic. Can you reveal where that was from, or by whom..?

      Delete
    3. the grand canyon on the southern rim, I took the pic but I played with it using the photo apps, to 'posterize' it
      :)

      Delete
    4. Wow! I never thought it was a photo..! Knowing this I'd sure like to see it again... It was very beautiful.

      Delete
  5. Hi Julian can you reup lossless the 1981 musical please? best Peter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Her voice is beautiful. Can you reupload these lps?

    Sincerely

    JRAC

    ReplyDelete
  7. new up
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/04rc1y

    ReplyDelete