Friday 28 December 2018

Back to the dreaded ReR Volume 3, No. 2, by request




Against my better judgement, assuming such a thing exists and it probably doesn't based on evidence provided today, I bought this record on the request of some recent commenter and others who over the years have suggested completing the whole series-- recall I stopped after Vol. 3, No. 1, leaving out 3.2, 3.3, and 4.2 (I posted 4.1).  You can see the overview here on rym.  (In other words after today there are only 2 left from the series of 13 total.)  Using the tag approach we can see the number of posts for this series (in reverse chronological order on blogger).  It's nice to revisit the Vol. 2, No. 2, which I still love so dearly, the one that had Robert Wyatt's Chairman Mao poem.

Like all the later instalments this franchise edition is overall quite disappointing.  Info can be found here on discogs.  The long track by Lutz Glandien is all over the place, and really could have used some condensation processing.  At one point I thought the vinyl was skipping so I quickly ran back to the record player which I had wandered away from in boredom-- but it wasn't, it was just the repetition of the music-- and that's not a good thing.

An interesting blues-based guitar track called Release by Charlie Southern kind of brings things together, at least succinctly, if not totally cohesively:





Following this there is the usual only-percussion track which seems guaranteed to generate migraines in those susceptible and then the usual Eastern bizarreness-- I know it's not politically correct but I really hate Eastern music.





4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.sendspace.com/file/qe27vh
      new upload

      Delete
  2. Too bad. I'm always up for more of these. Anyway, thanks Julian, for this and all the rest. Happy 2019!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julian, was wondering if you have either of these?

    https://www.discogs.com/Jazztrack-First-Call/release/4942526

    https://www.discogs.com/Jazztrack-Jazztrack/release/2689209




    ReplyDelete