Monday 18 May 2020

Back with more Tony Hymas in the remarkable Flying Fortress from 1988




Scanning his discography you can see we've posted his Insight, his Wessex Tales, and the remarkable and brilliant late 80s Aspects of Paragonne.  It was totally unexpected to think another late 80s album would be just as good, despite the quality of the last named, but I am always ready to be surprised.
It's like the case with Albert Allen Owen, where the 80s library albums were so weakly generic and as a commenter pointed out, perhaps the artist himself, "musicians have to pay the bills too" and it's for certain you're not going to get rich (or even stay away from starvation) with intellectual high-brow recondite brilliantly advanced composition, from which the average person recoils in disgust before turning on their youstupidtube for more Beyonce or whoever video to 'binge-watch' until their white matter turns into overcooked quinoa.  While I'm on the subject, it's always been a mystery to me why certain people, a small minority, love so deeply this style of advanced and unusual composition, many are probably musicians who find simple music irritating, but the others I wonder why.

Anyways, the album is called Flying Fortress, and here's a remarkable composition that will appeal to exactly that subset of quality music lovers, called The Great Wheel, I mean, it's tracks like this one that make me do all this endless searching that drives my wife so crazy (it's OK, it's a short drive):





If you look at the credits you'll see there are two parts to this oeuvre, and the second side, the spoken side, is markedly more disappointing.  Doesn't matter, even a few great tracks are enough to make me happy these days.  Even just one I should say.

As you can see I added a few more leftover albums from him, Age of Discovery (1979), the Piano album (1980), Face to Face (1984), and one of his collaborations with Jeff Beck from 1989.
On the piano album, note the stunningly inventive keyboard composition called Traffic:





Unfortunately, half the album is totally and completely generic.  So typical of these libraries.

Speaking of Jeff Beck, I was shocked some weeks back to discover the album called Blow by Blow from him (1975) which is as good a progressive guitar-based fusion masterpiece as any I've heard in my life.  Not sure if everyone out there is already familiar with that one, or like me, would never have expected something like that from the Beck-ola dude.









3 comments:


  1. https://www61.zippyshare.com/v/0QELbEKS/file.html

    https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/ld3i9h

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julian. Be sure to check out Jeff Beck "Wired" from 1976 also. I've always been a big fan of those. Driving around, mid 70's, Pioneer Supertuner Cassette player, 1972 Camaro....Crank it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beaten to it as I had also intended to draw your attention to 'Wired'. Beck was just starting to dip his toes into fusion about this time, and had already guested on Stan Clarke's 'Journey To Love' album. Incidentally, I seem to recall that 'Blow By Blow' was produced by George Martin of all people.
    Re. Tony Hymas, you might be interested in seeking out The Lonely Bears album that also featured drummer Terry Bozzio and British sax player Tony Coe.

    ReplyDelete