Friday 10 April 2020

The Mystic Moods in Clear Light (1973 Library) Plus three more (Stormy Weekend, Stormy Night, and














Magnificent artwork on Clear Light.  Have a look at the back of Stormy Night for a full frontal that's even better.  A very wholesome image, if you know what I mean, and that's definitely a change from the millenials today on instagram.  Not that I know anything at all about that.  Hey what's instagram?

Discogs:

The Mystic Moods Orchestra, created by audiophile Brad Miller, mixed orchestral pop, environmental sounds, and pioneering recording techniques becoming one of the choice audio aphrodisiacs of the 60's and 70's. The first Mystic Moods Orchestra album "One Stormy Night", became Philips' most popular release in 1965. Throughout the rest of the 60's and 70's, they continued releasing similar styled recordings and their recordings continued to be reissued throughout the 80's and 90's.

These guys were highly prolific, like rabbits in fact.  Or perhaps viruses.  I wasn't much aware of them till I came across this wonderful little jewel.  It seems they made a ton of middling to terrible easy listening albums throughout a long period stretching from the nineteen twenties, across the great depression (the first great depression, not the current one) and world wars, on past the eighties to the present tense as we use it today, and onwards into the future.  In the meantime here and there they were capable of making some listenable music for our purposes, which are always at cross purposes to the popular types.

The track called Drifting Prophet, from the 1973 Clear Light album really brings me back to childhood, it sounds a bit like those old James Bond theme songs from the seventies, when the Bonds were good and the theme songs were great.  I mean who could forget Paul's Live and Let Die.
I don't see a clear indication of who the formidable vocalist is from the database entry but I'm pretty sure someone out there knows and can tell me, maybe in one of those comments people drop years later that make me so happy.  (I'll never forget the comment made in response to my question as to who wrote the amazing Trumpian song Haunted by the Fried Chicken Band, you can see it here).





5 comments: