Thursday 19 January 2023

David Crosby RIP

 







I thought I just finished the obituaries with Jeff Beck and Renee Geyer a couple of days ago.  What a bad week!


In this post from almost 3 years ago I talked about my abiding love for his music which started in my teen years when I was introduced to old sixties music, CSNY's Wooden Ships, and CSN's Anything At All, his ironic postmodern take on a know it all:

Is there anything, you want to know?   On any subject at all?

I've got time for one more question here, before I fall--

Is there anything at all?


Well there's music, right?

I've listened to Lee Shore a million times, and I love it deeply for the way it evokes the life of the ocean:


All along the Lee Shore, Shells lie scattered in the sand

Winking up like shining eyes at me, From the sea

Here is one like sunrise, Older than you know

It's still lying there, where some careless wave, Forgot it long ago...


Guardian:

In a statement to Variety, his widow Jan Dance said: “It is with great sadness after a long illness, that our beloved David (Croz) Crosby has passed away. He was lovingly surrounded by his wife and soulmate Jan and son Django. 

Although he is no longer here with us, his humanity and kind soul will continue to guide and inspire us. His legacy will continue to live on through his legendary music. Peace, love, and harmony to all who knew David and those he touched."


RIP to a true musical genius-- back to the eternal ocean which you loved so much...  

I love you, Croz

2 comments:

  1. A piece of my youth that is going away. His music was and still is very important to me. I'm very sad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly the End of an Era.
    A voice that has been a part of my world my entire life. Fundamental.
    His great solo '71 Lp, 'If I Could Only Remember My Name...'
    plays as I write this...'Tamalpais High (At About 3)'
    is one of my all-time favorite songs...Thank You Croz
    Turn! Turn! Turn! to Wooden Ships
    Almost Cut My Hair to Triad
    ...flying with The Airplane & Kantner on gems like 'Blows Against The Empire' & 'Sunfighter'
    Eight Miles High to Long Time Gone
    "Do you know?
    Don't you wonder?
    What's going on,
    Down under you..." - Deja Vu

    ...guess I'll set a course unknown...
    Fly free bro

    ReplyDelete