Friday 10 March 2023

The amazing UK Groundhogs [limited time only package]
















Love the comic strip cover for "Who will save the world"...

I have to admit I never heard these guys before until quite recently.  I absolutely love this kind of hard-driven guitar-based rock with progressive touches, like Sandoz long ago did so well, or the great High Tide, insane asylum escapees Gnidrolog, or my favourite, hard rocker turned preacher, Steinblast. This is totally up my alley and I would give a kidney to find more like this every month to keep me fully entertained until the apocalypse.

Discography here.

They began relatively inauspiciously with blues rock in their first 2 albums, Scratching the Surface (1968), and Blues Obituary (1969), you couldn't have expected anything else really, but then by Thank Christ in 1970 at the magical and miraculous turn of that decade they blew the blues out of the water with some absolutely incomparable progressive riffs and passages, still very much blues-based but so much more creative than the average stuff.

Consider from Thank Christ, Eccentric Man, with its highly eccentric riff:



Even though this is an E-based song (as the majority of them are in rock history), after the initial riff note how the verse goes up to the tritonal B flat before going back down to the riff.

To say I almost had a heart attack when I heard the insanity of this is to play down the out of body experience.

And then it just never lets up through album after album of hard electric guitar and craziness.

Junkman, from the remarkable Split:



That riff is totally insane, technically speaking it uses whole tones in the first part and the blues scale in a different key for the 2nd, a jarring combination I don't think I've ever heard someone do before. In fact, musically, the whole tone scale is the diametric opposite of the blues scale which is based on chromatic or really bent notes.

Fulfilment, from Crosscut Saw:



Check out the really odd chords he gets out in this song. Sounds a lot like the most inventive late 90s alternative stuff, or like Nirvana did in their best (most progressive) moments eg Insecticide.


Even the late 1984 album Razors Edge has some interesting material. Setting aside those first two anomalies,  a solid seven wonderful albums with so many progressive riffs and weird ideas to enjoy.
One thing I detest is the misogyny that permeates so many of the lyrics, cf. "I love Miss Ogyny." I understand that in that song he is making fun of the first person singer, but it's nonetheless disturbing especially given the other songs with similar ideas. I mean, most people think Led Zep were the same, a common reason females say they hate the band (although there are so many reasons for girls to hate them), so you have to accept it's a part of this era / the blues.
As I've said before though, I grew up with Led Zep and alternative rock so this stuff is like discovering a foothold in heaven.

I would love to get your opinions on this material.  Has everyone already heard these records and loved them?
To me it was such a shock to find something so up my alley that I never heard before.


8 comments:

  1. can only do temp file bec it's over 900 mb (10 albums):
    https://we.tl/t-2AWpxxfJXz

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is some serious stuff Thank you so much I have a request which is Whynot Records Jazz Discography

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cant find this on your blog but you got the other Interjazz series need this one Slide Hampton & Václav Zahradník Big Band – Interjazz 2 (1974) thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's the same album as this one
      https://www.sendspace.com/file/vhdqiy

      Delete
    2. @Julianryan Thank you very much

      Delete
  4. Amazing! ;)never heard,thx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Outstanding!!
    What a wealth!!
    Now I've known about The Groundhogs since way back.
    My Dad had the Lp of 'Thank Christ For The Bomb'
    ...I used to always look through the large Lp collection,
    picking out the ones with the wildest/most interesting covers...
    ...and I remember 'Thank Christ...' for the title and
    the cover drawing of them as WWI soldiers!
    A fantastic proto-prog guitar assault!
    I managed to acquire the great Akarma mini-Lp cd release of 'Thank Christ' years back and have 'Who Will Save The World' in the files....but other than those 2 Lps,
    I haven't heard any of the other material -
    they had a much larger output than I thought - so this is great!! Really looking forward to going through all these!
    Thank you Julian
    Much gratitude bro

    ReplyDelete