Monday 13 November 2017

Palle Mikkelborg - Ashoka / Guadiana / Concert Dedicated To Torolf Mølgaard from 1970




Mr. Mikkelborg was for some time in my favourite fusion band from Denmark of course, Secret Oyster (on the album Sea Son mostly, but also my favourite Astarte) whose sax player Karsten we've been following closely this last while.

Obviously he is famous and well known in Denmark as a jazz artist and composer.  The bio from discogs:

Danish trumpet player, composer, conductor, band leader. Born in 1941. 
He plays trumpet and flugelhorn since 1956, claiming to be an autodidact. 
Professional musician since 1960. Also known for his usage of electric trumpet.

This early work from 1970 is interesting for its very advanced composition.  He wrote the music, conducted the big band, and played trumpet on track B1.

He also played on the following amazing records: the 3 Entrance LPs, the one-off Alpha Centauri from 1981 (recommended), the two libraryish light fusions of the Iron Office franchise, plus many other LPs in conjunction with other jazz artists, in this period and following.
I think the 70s Entrance albums were the best of that lot.

The Fourth Movement from the Ashoka suite, called Peace:





The whole reminds me a lot of the advanced jazz composition we've heard before from Teo Macero or Charlie Mingus in his more creative and inventive sixties period.

Tons of stuff to admire in here.

19 comments:

  1. https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/z39laz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's the earlier Mikkelborg album called Mysterious Corona:
      https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/vp0992

      Delete
  2. First two entrance albums by request:
    https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/4d8mdd
    https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/baxud2

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all of these Julian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Julian, these are great.
    I'm wondering if you have the Swedish band Ragnarok's 3rd album Fata Morgana from 1981?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no probs here it is
      https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/0evy3m
      enjoy

      Delete
    2. Whoa... you're my hero! Thanks again.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks a lot for all the Danish stuff. Did not even know I did not have it yet :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aloha Julian, a big fan of your blog. This was a Mikkelborg I had not had...thanks! Have you heard the last entrance CD? Is it worth pursuing? Iron office looks intriguing, is it in your collection? If only there were more Secret Oyster...one can wish. Aloha and Mahalo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard the last Entrance album and don't know if it's worth pursuing but I'll pursue it anyways lol
      The Iron Office I can put up for you

      Delete
    2. here are the 2 iron office albums:
      https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/wrw2oa

      Delete
  8. Aloha Julian,

    yay!!! I had not looked at my computer for a couple of days, what a nice surprise.

    You are so nice, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad I did some digging' around here, finding Iron Office.Looking forward to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had no idea he was in Iron Office and i had never heard of Secret Oyster or Entrance! I only knew Mysterious Corona but was completely mesmerized by it. I can't tell you how many times I've been researching an artist only to find that you've already covered them here! Thank you ad infinitum, Sir!

    ReplyDelete