Tuesday 9 February 2021

Contre Jour V (1986)




Another in the long long series of easy going light fusion albums along the lines of Landress - Hart Group, the recent Manzanita, blablabla, with a smooth sound and some inventive passages, this time hailing from France 1986, by far the best track or composition is one called Terje which I'm going to presume is dedicated to the great Norwegian guitarist of the same name (and whom I've always disliked due to his meandering qualities):




I mean, how could music ever get any better?  Starting with that soprano sax that always sounds like birds in flight melodiously playing on top of the digital strings, leading into the guitar passages augmented with more horn frills, the song passes into the more traditional fusion territory after a couple of minutes, sounding almost like Danish uber-masters Secret Oyster.  The minor second arpeggiated electric guitar riff (first devised by Mahavishnu McLaughlin?) so commonly seen in guitar fusion is beautifully articulated here with the backing band playing minor passages.

Stupidly the discogs database appears to have misspelled the name of the band, unlike the basement dwellers of rym.  I should log in to discogs to change it myself and add the twenty paragraphs of proof as annotation they always require but I worry that I might be wrong, in which case the basement dwellers (slash vinyl collectors) will probably send me death threats and possibly chop off my balls too.  An experience I never like.  It's clear anyways the band never put anything out other than this.  The majority of the songwriting was done by guitarist Dominique Bousquet, who also wrote Terje.  Here and there among the generic softer fuzak material are some other well written musical passages making it tragic they didn't press more LPs or burn more CDs.

5 comments:



  1. https://www.sendspace.com/file/m4tziv

    https://www35.zippyshare.com/v/yGdqq9A5/file.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, crap. I know what it's like to be wrong on Discogs. I've decided to tone down my enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete