Sunday 7 February 2021

The Music of Fred Stone, 1972, by request






Continuing on with the gentle, acoustic music that is prone to somnolence, here's yet another outrageously expensive album for reasons unclear to me available for your listening pleasure should you decide to pay a couple hundred dollars but really, I'm not sure you'd do that after today.  

A one-off it seems from this composer, the back has an extensive blurb you can read, typical of jazz records.  Note the two different covers, one quite typically abstractly attractive and the other quite ridiculous.

The youtube-sampled track called Alissa is surely the best track and gives you a great idea of what we have here, a mix of chamber-like playing with jazz, usually comprising flute on top of acoustic piano, and with some nice ideas but desperately begging for the more full arrangements of for example fellow countryman Ted Moses although I guess it's not fair to compare the two:



I suppose it's most similar to a very simplified version of the great Lofstrom Music album I refer to constantly and regularly and usually describe as a masterpiece, but not anywhere as good.






13 comments:


  1. https://www.sendspace.com/file/sjgcg5

    https://www92.zippyshare.com/v/o71vbMSH/file.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for all the great music!
    I was wondering if you have the following album:

    George Gruntz "Eternal Baroque"

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! thank you so much for this. been looking out for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many thanks,one of my wants
    I have 3 request :

    -Jasis ‎– Spontaneous Improvisation-1972
    -Jo Grinage ‎– Mother's Love Song-1971
    -Jo Grinage ‎– Ode To Kim-1976

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Julian!

    Very sorry if asking this question here is rude of me, but I have been trying to find some sort of copy of Kiyoshi Sugimoto's album, "Babylonia Wind", with no luck so far. However, I noticed that you had posted a zippyshare link to this record a few years ago, which has unfortunately expired.

    Thus I was wondering whether you might still have the album by any chance, and if it might be possible for you to share it again?

    If you don't have it or just don't have the time to share it, I of course fully understand.

    Either way, thanks for sharing so much hard-to-find music, and thank you for your time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. not a problem, here's babylonia wind:
    https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/nw0flq
    enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sincere thanks for this, my friend. You have my gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi!

    Thanx so much for this Canadian artist. A "new" artist = "new" hears here. Interesting person who actually toured with the Duke Ellington Band (70-71 1st Canadian to do so) & played with Lighthouse for a year (69-70).

    Cheers!
    Ciao! For now.
    rntcj

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't remember where I got The Music of Fred Stone from, but I've been a fan of this album for years. Beautiful from start to finish. You seem to loath most anything vaguely spiritual, oriental-sounding in your jazz-fusion, but I love the sense of mystery, exotic feel and "wonder" it often provides. So to me you're usially underselling these kind of shares. But I'm always extra interested if an album got titles namechecking the desert, the Nile, Egypt, Tamara, gods, goddesses, Babylon, raga, Africam Middle-East, Krishna, astrology-nonsense or whatever...

    -so thanks for all those oriental/spiritual/latin-jazz albums over the years that I've come to love, but you personally don't seem to care much for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what you say is true, I don't have the same taste for this stuff as many others but it doesn't mean it isn't great music

      Delete
    2. +1
      I definitely agree with you ;-)
      If you have any advice, say it now! :-P
      And yes, thanx, Julian :-)

      Delete
  10. Muchas gracias por compartir este álbum. Hace tiempo que lo estaba buscando. Un saludo desde Chile

    ReplyDelete